interlace tourist

First few things to do upon your arrival in Australia

All valid  visa holders who are fully vaccinated in accordance with Australia’s international border entry requirements are able to arrive in Australia without needing an approved travel exemption. Please plan your luggage and travel as per your destination. Some people pack too many items which leads to the overweight of their luggage and might  cost them money and time and earn them an extra hassle at the airport .Please check your luggage allowance before leaving for the airport.

Immigration and Custom Clearance

When traveling to Australia you should be aware that you cannot bring specific things to Australia and Australian immigration and customs officers will very strictly check your luggagees.Go to this link  to find out what you cannot bring into Australia. Sometimes the custom officer will give an easy option to disown the property and dispose of it however it won’t be the same for everything and instead might give you a hefty fine.


After  arriving in Australia you need to plan your accommodation, if you have any trouble and you do not know any known person in Australia please contact your International student support team so that they can assist and direct you as per your need. Links provided below could be very helpful to find some accommodation.



Bank account

After finding your accommodation, you need to apply for a bank account and mostly it’s easier to open a bank account if  you could take your address details, passport , COE and current visa. Most of the banks have a free student account scheme so there is no need to worry about anything. After opening your account you need to ask them your Client ID and Password so that you could use your account online. You will need your Client ID and Password to set up your mobile banking apps as well, So, always keep it handy.Normally you will receive your bank card by post mail and in 14 working days.


Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors can apply for a tax file number (TFN) online using Individual Auto Registration. You must already be in Australia.

To work in Australia, temporary visitors and permanent migrants need authorisation (a valid visa) from the Department of Home Affairs.You can apply for a TFN if you meet all the following three conditions:

You are a foreign passport holder, permanent migrant or temporary visitor.

  1. You are already in Australia.
  2. Your visa is one of the following
    • a permanent resident visa
    • a visa with work rights
    • an overseas student visa
    • a visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely (including New Zealanders automatically granted a visa on arrival).

Orientation week

Some institutions run an orientation week (also known as ‘O Week’) for new students. This is typically held at the start of the year and during the week; you will learn about your institution, take tours of facilities, and meet people who will also be studying at your institution. You can usually find more information about your institution’s orientation week on their website, such as a full schedule of activities.

Also please remember

For any life-threatening emergency issues in Australia, you must always call 000 and keep your phone fully charged so that you can reach out to police, ambulance, and fire rescue emergency teams when needed.

Do not share your bank or card details to anyone , always use a secure method of payment.

Share this post